The Suffolk Coast is a haven for wildlife photographers. As an area of outstanding natural beauty, home to RSPB Minsmere
and RSPB Havergate Island, there are plenty of opportunities to capture on camera some of our rare wildlife.
But getting the perfect wildlife picture may be harder than you think. Wild Adventures under Suffolk's Skies run regular photography days in cooperation with RSPB Havergate Island, providing wildlife enthusiasts the chance to get up close and personal with the resident animals and birdlife and capture them on camera.
We spoke to one of the tutors Kevin Sawford to get his top tips for taking the perfect wildlife shot...
1. Learn to be in control of your camera, come off the automatic controls and become familiar with it’s functions so you can react and change settings quickly when needed.
2. Learn how the changing of the ISO and Aperture effects your shutter speed.
3. The more you learn about the behaviour of the wildlife you are photographing, you can anticipate what it is going to happen and be ready to photograph it.
4. If possible get down low to be at eye level with your subject.
5. Use the weather conditions of the day, you don’t have to have the sun out to capture excellent images.
6. Your background and foreground are as important as the subject. Don’t just focus on the subject look around your frame to see how you are framing the subject.
7. If you cannot get close to the subject, show it small in the frame to show it in it’s environment.
RSPB Minsmere -
Suffolk Coast Top Photo Spots:
Postcode: IP7 3BY - MapKessingland Beach
- Postcode: NR33 7NU - Map
Shingle Street - Postcode: IP12 3BE - Map
Carlton and Oulton Marshes - Postcode: NR33 8HU - Map
For further information on the courses that Wild Adventures under Suffolk's Skies run visit www.wasuffolk.co.uk/photography-days-on-havergate
or call Monika Koch on 07766388005 / 01728 688524