Visitors to the Waveney area of the Suffolk Coast can now pick up information while they shop or eat, thanks to the launch of seventeen new Visitor Information Points.
The majority of all the Visitor Information Points (VIPs) are now open in key tourist destinations across Waveney, enabling visitors to access information in places they are likely to visit as part of their stay. The VIPs provide visitors with free information on local attractions, events and locations as well as offering advice and friendly local knowledge.
Cllr Michael Ladd, Waveney’s cabinet member for Tourism, Economic Development and Rural Affairs said: “The introduction of our VIP network reflects changes in the way visitors access tourist information. Tourism is essential to our local economy and the provision of high-quality visitor information plays a key role in the overall visitor experience. Not only will the VIPs help to create a positive image of Waveney’s numerous destination towns and attractions, the increased footfall in our market towns will help to grow the local economy.”
Christine Pinsent, Waveney Business Forum Co-ordinator said: “It is great to get that local feeling and quirky information that you might not have had before to make your visitor experience even more special. All the businesses taking part are very proud to do so and are passionate about their local areas, the whole of Waveney and beyond. There will be great support for all the new VIPs with regular leaflet and information swaps to ensure they are all well prepared.”
The new Visitor Information Points are:
- Beccles Books – 1 Exchange House, Exchange Square, Beccles, NR34 9HH
- Beccles Station Café - Station Road, Beccles, NR34 9QJ (opening mid June)
- Saxons - 35 New Market, Beccles, NR34 9HE
- Beccles Library – Blyburgate, Beccles, NR34 9TB
- Beccles Quay – Fen Lane, Beccles, NR34 9BH
- Bungay Library - Wharton Street, Bungay, NR35 1EL
- Art Trading Company - 55 Earsham Street, Bungay, NR35 1AF
- The Angel - Thoroughfare, Halesworth, IP19 8AH
- Halesworth Library - Bridge St, Halesworth, IP19 8AD
- Southwold Library – North Green, Southwold, IP18 6AT
- Southwold Boating Lake – North Parade, Southwold, IP18 6BN (opening mid June)
- Acanthus Property Lettings – 9 Trinity St, Southwold, IP18 6JH
- SPOTS (Southwold Post Office) – High St, Southwold, IP18 6AA
- Lowestoft Railway Station – Denmark Rd, Lowestoft, NR32 2EG
- Lowestoft Library - Clapham Rd South, Lowestoft, NR32 1DR
- Claremont Pier – Wellington Esplanade, Lowestoft, NR33 0BS
- Windsor Gallery – 167 London Rd South, Kirkley, Lowestoft, NR33 0DR
Earlier this year, local businesses and voluntary organisations were invited to become VIPs as part of a programme to modernise Waveney District Council’s visitor services.
As part of the modernisation programme, both the Lowestoft and Southwold Tourist Information Centres (TICs) closed on 30 April.
In addition to the new VIPs, visitors can also call a dedicated telephone number to receive tourist information - 01502 523442 or view a wide range of information at www.eastsuffolk.gov.uk/visitors.