1. Explore Ipswich's Waterfront.
No visit to Ipswich is complete without a stroll along the water’s edge, or an evening meal with a sunset view of the harbour. On Ipswich’s iconic waterfront, cafés and restaurants stand alongside galleries, shops and museums, while yachts and boats sail in and out of the marina. It’s a scene not dissimilar to Orford Quay, or Woodbridge’s riverside. Find out more about the town & Ipswich Waterfront here
Whilst you're exploring the marina, hop on board one of Ipswich's sailing barges and explore the River Orwell with Sailing Barge Victor or Sailing Barge Cruises. Or, if you prefer to take more of an active role, learn to sail with Viking Mariners or for a special occasion, exclusively hire one of their yachts and celebrate in style!
2. Dine on board the Allen Gardiner River Cruise Restaurant Experience stunning views of the River Orwell aboard the Allen Gardiner. As well as enjoying a fabulous meal every cruise includes an informative commentary on both the intriguing history that made this area, and the wildlife which now inhabits it.
3. Soak up the Suffolk Culture Ipswich has an ingrained love of the creative arts. Looking out over the marina is DanceEast, the visionary dance house that brings the world’s best dancers and shows to Ipswich. The John Russell Gallery stands on Ipswich’s iconic waterfront, while further inland you’ll find the best collection of Thomas Gainsborough and John Constable paintings outside of London at Christchurch Mansion; and the New Wolsey Theatre, where theatregoers can see anything from a West End show to a local production.
4. Discover Ipswich's Maritime History The Old Custom House is a reminder of a time when thousands of international traders would stop in Ipswich to register their imports, before unloading them to sell or sailing on to other towns further up the River Orwell. You can dip into Ipswich’s maritime past at the Window Museum, a regularly changing display that can be found on the waterfront between the Old Custom House and Stoke Quay.
5. Shop till' you Drop! And if you’re after a spot of shopping Ipswich has a wide range of specialist shops mixed in with all the top national brands.